Monday, February 25, 2008

What comes to mind...

...Africa...hmmm...

Well, I know I'm supposed to think of lions, tigers, and bears. Oh my! But in fact I don't...no tribes come to mind.

I think Egypt first of all. I'm fascinated by ancient cultures...hence the double major in history. Secondly, I think of Johannesburg. Blame it on Totsi but that's what I think. Yeah, I think of tribes, lions, and savanna, but Africa has that, too. Like when I think of America, I think of New York, the Midwest, the Rockies, waves of the pacific lapping at the shore. Sorry tropical Hawaii doesn't come to mind or ice-covered Alaska...that make me prejudice? I didn't think so.

But hey, to each his own. When people think of Texas and cowboys come to mind, am I offended? Not really. There ARE a lot of rednecks here that wear cowboy hats (although not all of those that wear cowboy hats are rednecks and vice versa).

The other day I was watching a television show produced by a US company. Basically, a guy had amnesia, they showed him a cowboy hat and said, "You're from Texas." I laughed. Americans are prejudiced against Africa? Humans create basic ideas and prejudices based on prior knowledge given to them through whatever means. It helps us to protect ourselves, to shape decisions, and to predict events as best as possible. Humans are prejudice, not Americans.

No comments: